Skip to main content

Champions, Sample 2, Chapter 2, End of Windsong War, by Jacob Malewitz


“I think they can be beaten if we pull the city together.  I mean we have twice the manpower the IC do, but we just keep losing.  I think Kai Shang did good things but he was a politician first and not the general he should have been…if we had stopped the Italian Communists forming up in Green Sparta years ago instead of ignoring them then the whole planet wouldn’t have been engulfed in war with these guys.”
   “Hmm. Kinda reminds me of that bastard Adolf and all those Nazis---“
   “I wouldn’t compare them to Nazis. They don’t mass murder people; but they do act like other communists in history have…subjugate the press and then make the people follow party lines—or else.”
   “Look,” said Clyde, “I don’t usually vote but I use to be a soldier back when Red Athens was a new city and all we had was a milita. Ha!  Those were some days.  All you needed to do was wear a uniform and hold a gun and the ladies would be all over you.  Anyways, you’re a veteran and you got some good ideas.  I’ll vote for you, but can I tell you something?”
   “Sure.”
   “I think the rest of this block is pro-Dorians so I wouldn’t even waste my time with them.” 
Edgar looked around, as if the houses themselves would explain why they were all pro-Dorian, then nodded and walked away.
   In all his walking Edgar Willow could count how many votes he had likely gained on two hands.  He would have to try another tactic to get voters attention.  But would he have time?  Red Athens was on the brink of being torn apart by an invading army that was hell bent on taking the entire planet Isis.
   All he was sure of is that he would be very busy if he won the office; the military consul position came packaged with enough pressure to make a root canal seem bland.  The Italian Communists were better equipped and better trained than their counterparts in the Red Athens Defense Force; and they were filled with a patriotic fever that couldn’t be matched by even the most enthused armies in history. 
   So he would have to start acting now; he couldn’t afford to wait until he was officially elected—he could help now.    


CH. 
   The sounds of battle echoed through the room.  For a second Johnny McGavin thought Day was still sleeping, but when he looked over he could see her eyes were open.                                       “They’ll hold.” 
   “How can you be so sure.” 
   “Because they’ve held before.” Just then a loud explosion hit the dome, followed by more weapons fire that could be heard throughout the crowded city of Red Athens. 
He got out of bed, threw his clothes on, remembered he didn’t have a job, laid back down.  He peered into the void at moments like that, wondering what was the point of his existence.  Then he remembered what he had planned the previous night to do: find another job, something with potential…anything.  He had been a computer tech for ten years, never found himself without a job, then all communications to the city had been cut, and his job was no longer there. Johnny tried to get something else, and even had a series of interviews to be lead tech on a new military project.  This made sense to him, military jobs not only had potential but in the world of man they were a consistent business.  But he had been told a man with more experience would be hired. 
   For months he walked the streets looking for anything: construction but construction had stopped on the first day of the siege; being a cop, but the cops were union and he didn’t have the credentials; writer which he thought he might get since the writers were all on strike—but it didn’t work out, not enough experience. 
   He sighed as he remembered the days of trial and error, where nothing seemed to work out for him.  He could think back to his days in school.  He was loathed by teachers because he always asked questions after drifting off and missing important parts of what was being taught.  One of his teachers told him he was the problem child of his generation.  He had a two-minute attention span, and an imagination that was almost too good.  “You’re never going to amount to anything if you can’t focus,” one of his teachers had told him countless times.
   After he quit college, and found a tech job, he met Day.  She was a brash girl about two years younger than him working in a coffee shop.  Her long hair was highlighted and when her green eyes met his he was entranced. 
   “You want any coffee to go with that cream?”  She had said to him after he put four hazelnut creams into his coffee.  It was the first thing she had ever said to him. 
   Johnny loved Day dearly, and without her he wouldn’t have likely found his way out of the hole of depression that he had been in after losing his job.  Her job was steady and brought in just enough money to pay the bills and buy enough food.  But he wondered sometimes if she was cheating on him.  She would get out of work and not show up for hours.  He just wasn’t sure what was going on; he still loved her but when he questioned she would try to change the subject.  “I want to know what your doing for three hours after work.  And don’t tell me your with the girls…one of them called the other night and I had to tell her I didn’t know where you were.”
   “So you want to know everything about me?”
   “I just want to know why you’re being so secretive about it.  If you’re cheating I want to know.”
   “I’m not cheating.”
   “Then what are you doing?”
   “Johnny just forget it, I can’t tell, and if I wanted to I still wouldn’t tell you.  Okay?”
The conversation ended there, with little new information being produced.  It left Johnny confused.  What in the hell is she doing? 
   They hadn’t talked about it again for weeks.  He wanted to ask her again but just couldn’t find the right words.  She started coming home faster as if she were worried what he might think. 
   And then when he lost his job he stopped any thoughts of questioning her more.  She was providing for him and could have easily left him high and dry…but didn’t. 

He had grown accustomed to the cold apartment.  They still hadn’t figured out why it was the coldest in the whole complex, but Johnny didn’t mind.  When a warm hand touched his neck he looked up. 
   It was Day.
   He stared into her eyes for to long, was drawn in, he always hated looking anywhere else after just a glance at her green eyes. 
   “I’m going. I’m only working a four hour shift so expect me back.”
   “I might be gone.”
   “Where?”
   “I was going to hunt for another job.  I heard the Dorian house pays top dollar for guards.  I always thought I could do something like that as a kid, but I don’t have any experience, same old story.”
   “You’ll find something, it just takes time, and I’m not going to quit on you yet,” Day said as she walked out the door.  The thoughts of what she was up to hadn’t completely gone away—but they did linger on Johnny’s mind. 

   He didn’t have it all planned out when he went to the Dorian house. In truth all he had was what he had learned working before: never show them anything but resolve.  If you showed that you were a novice you didn’t stand a chance; if you acted like an expert you did. 
   He knew what he was doing, he had always been a good fighter, and since the militia paid little he figured the houses would start hiring soldiers—intent on protecting Red Athens.  He had aspirations as a child of being a House Master, the best one-on-one fighters in the whole of a house, but those dreams had evaporated when it was explained to him he had to be of the bloodline to be a House master.  Yet he still dreamed.   
   The guards at the door of the Dorian mansion gave Johnny a good look-over before letting him in.  He wondered whom he would talk to; he was just another tech wizard, able to fix any computer that was broken.  But a lot of people knew how to do that, just like a lot of people knew how to fix hover cars, so he would have to show some skills in fighting.  The man he spoke to was a leader in the Dorian house; he looked like he was twenty pounds to skinny and his speech was forced.
   “We only hire real soldiers,” the captain had told him, “not civilians.  Go to the militia if you want to fight.”
   “You and I both know they pay squat.  What other options do I have?”
   “Go to the Battle arena—“
   “But nobody has been going there since the war started.”
   “I said go there…and then when you’ve proven yourself as a skilled fighter maybe we’ll hire you.  House soldiers can’t just come in here and fill out a form to get in…all you have is computer experience.’
   “But I know I can fight.” 
   “That may be, son,  but you first have to show you can use this,” he pointed to his head, “before we give you a position.  We get a lot of your sort, people need work, think the houses would be perfect.” 
   “But not everyone survives in the battle arena.”
   “No a lot don’t.  Most blade battles end in a death.”
   The captain tried to explain to Johnny that choosing to be a blade master would likely bring his death, but as Johnny had little to live for he ignored it, then he remembered Day, and his love for her.
   “Ok, what else can I do? I have a wife.”
   “Find another line of work.  Blade fights get the most pay and people actually go out to see them.  IF you get good at it you wont want to work for any house--the pay is better fighting in the arena.  And fighting for a house is just as dangerous.”
BREAK
Johnny and Day’s apartment was a short walk from the coliseum, and Johnny could often hear the crowd roaring as fighters fought each other.  The building reminded Johnny of a coliseum combined with a football stadium, it had enough seats for close to a hundred thousand, but instead of grass the arena had sheets of metal covered with rubber. Fighters would battle here for top dollar; if you stayed around long enough, and got a fan base, you could sell toys and t-shirts to fans.  
   To Johnny the arena was a fleeting reminder that Red Athens wasn’t a perfect republic.  The capitalists who controlled government may have frowned on it, but the taxes the arena brought in paid for all the big bills of maintaining the city. 
   The smell of battle was evident, and Johnny could see blood marks stained into the rubber mats of the arena. He wasn’t sure who to talk to if he wanted to be a fighter.  As he searched he watched as workers were busy cleaning the arena, then he almost ran into a man in a cheap blue and black blazer, and decided to ask him. 
   “Sir can you tell me where I have to go to be a fighter?”
   “Oh that’s an easy one…you come to me.  What’s your name?”
   “Johnny McGavin.”
   “Johnny there’s only a couple fights going on daily right now because of the siege.  What makes you want to fight?”
   “Need the money.”
   “Ah…that’s what most of us are here for.  I used to be a fighter in need of cash like you, I can relate; before anyone gets a chance in the arena I personally have to see you fight before I give you a chance.  Saves some peoples lives…they realize there in over their heads.  Know what I mean?”
   “I didn’t get your name.”
   “Name’s Peter Han, I live down in sector seven.”
   “Who do I have to fight to get a shot in the arena.”
   “That would be my second…Jim Price.  He’s good; if you can beat him in a hand to hand fight you’re in.”

It was a miniature version of the arena, built into the side of the coliseum.  There were a few fighters practicing with each other in the corner.  There was a gaping hole in the steel arena, lighting a little of Isis’ sun into the mix, like a play on lights it danced across the arena at many different angles. 
   Jim Price was a big man, at least a head taller than Johnny and fifty pounds heavier, and he laughed the first time he saw Johnny.
   Johnny wondered if he was making a mistake.
   The least you can do is give it a shot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Champions, Champions Medieval, and Counter Siege, A new novel by Jacob Malewitz

Champions, Chapter 3 by JFM CH 3 The Politics of War “Red Athens needs new leadership,” Edgar Willow said to the old lady, “we need a new direction for the city, and that isn’t something the old Houses can bring. If you vote for me, to be next military consul, I’ll not only stop the Italian Communists from taking this city…I’ll rebuild what they destroyed across this planet.”    “And what experience do you have?”      Edgar knew she would ask this question, this being the twentieth house he had come to he had been asked the same question in half of them.   “I used to be a tank gunner for the Confederation, then I moved my way through the ranks.   I understand what happens when politicians try to be generals, I was a private once, I know how to speak to and handle the common soldier..”      “But the Dorians are like the Kennedy’s back on Terra.   Do you really think you can beat James?”    “I don’t ju...

Champions, A Novel of War and Fantasy, by Jacob Malewitz

Champions by Jacob Malewitz Tower of Lopon, a new novel Red Athens my second novel, Challengers, a sequel to Champions 250 250 250 hong kong, Age of Shadowkeep "A Winner." Prologue: Janus The Watcher    Janus was a man of Roman taste and Greek temperament.   He was Roman by blood, but had found that true greatness, for a god, lay in serving the deities of Greece .   Zeus initially had proposed the idea of using Janus—the Roman opener of gateways—to create a Pantheon on the mountain of Olympus .   It would   be a process, a trial and error test of things, to gather all the greats of history into one place.      So Janus assembled almost all the greatest warriors of humanity existence in order to fight in the Pantheon.   His job had been given to him by Zeus; yet he was sure that Aries and Athena and El had each played parts.      The game was simple but the rules these heroes and generals lived by w...